Thursday, January 29, 2009



This is a picture I took earlier this fall in Chicago. I think homeless people make very powerful subjects, I only wish I had gotten a more focused shot..however, I just snapped a quick one because I didn't want to disturb her. I cropped this photo, converted it to black and white, made a curves adjustment, ran a smart sharpen filter, set a color overlay, and used the burn tool to darken some hotspots. Not one of my best shots but it's a shot I feel an attachment to.

4 comments:

blah said...

This is beautiful. I see what you mean about having an attachment to it. If I may ask. What type of camera do you use? Also I am adding you to my blog to follow your photography.

Laurel Newport said...

aw, thank you. that is awesome of you to follow my photography. and i use a nikon d40 slr.

devanm said...

This is a amazing photograph. The subject is extremely powerful. I feel that your photograph really portrays a strong message. It has a great composition and it really reaches out and grabs the viewer.

Unknown said...

I absolutely love this photo and I think it has a very strong message...to see people in real life like this draws forth an emotional aspect to the shot. Although the composition is somewhat blurry, I noticed that you mentioned it was a quick shot. I think changing the color was an excellent choice, it really adds to the photo. I like how the subject is off center, it sort of tells a story and really draws in the viewer. Great job overall. I think your photography is excellent and look forward to seeing more.

CV SPHS